They sent us into the forest. It’s where we all go in the end—we betrayers, cowards, thieves. The forest swallows all like us. We knew this before we committed our acts. We knew this as they unshackled us and prodded us into that place. No one who goes in, comes out.
None knew how it would happen, only that we would never leave.
A young woman bearing the scars of a turncoat was the first to go. Barely fifty paces into that damn place we came to a stagnant pond. She stopped and stared in a queer way. It was as if she’d been called. She walked, with purpose, straight into that muck. We all watched, sad. It was our fate too. She closed her eyes, shuddered, an began to harden, flake, become wood. In moments, she was a rotten piling standing alone in that water.
She was a part of this place now.
We didn’t bother to exchange names after that. We had no use for them.
We would all be a part of this place soon.
- 4/1/2012 Flash Fiction Faction Prompt (quillshiv.wordpress.com)
- Flash Fiction Faction: The Harvest (quillshiv.wordpress.com)
- Flash Fiction Faction: Mocking Motherbird (quillshiv.wordpress.com)
- Flash Fiction Faction: It is the Core (quillshiv.wordpress.com)
- Flash Fiction Faction: Bitts (quillshiv.wordpress.com)